Introduction and Quick Links
GreekKeys 2015 is the latest revision of a custom polytonic Greek keyboard program with accompanying fonts that has long been useful to many scholars, teachers, and students of the ancient and medieval Greek worlds. GreekKeys fonts and keyboards provide easy access to many specialized characters (e.g., for metrics, epigraphy, and papyrology) that are absent from most system fonts and that would otherwise have to be entered in roundabout or obscure ways.
You can download GreekKeys for free here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LexvHa7EQG_yc_qT0EgizknXKtm6DI3F/view?u...
Go to the GreekKeys Purchase Page (requires login).
System Requirements and Technical Information
Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (can also be installed manually on 10.3 or 10.4).
Windows 7, 8, or 10 (not tested with Windows XP, but probably works).
Tested with the latest versions of MS Word as of 2015, but also works with Word 2008 and later for Mac and Word 2003 and later for Windows.
If you need only the standard polytonic Greek characters, you may wish to try the free fonts and keyboards that come with Windows OS and Mac OS X. GreekKeys is intended for those with particular scholarly needs and for those who appreciate a simple scheme for the location of the accent characters.
NOTE: The Society for Classical Studies (SCS) is providing GreekKeys 2015 as a service to the scholarly community but cannot provide support to individual users. SCS has reduced the price of this software to reflect the fact that the software is being provided on an "as is" basis. SCS offers and will periodically update a help page for the software.
Contents of the Package
This product is supplied only as a download. The download may appear as GreekKeys2015rev.zip or, if your OS automatically decompresses the archive, as a folder named GreekKeys2015rev. If your Windows system is set up not to show file extensions, you can recognize the difference by the icon: the compressed version has a zipper on the icon, the uncompressed version appears as an ordinary folder.
The folder contains important documentation as well as the installers and fonts. Please read the QuickStart document before installing, or for fuller instructions with illustrations see the UserGuide document.
Non-member purchasers should archive a copy of the download in a safe location and medium (such as cloud storage or a backup disk), so that it will be available after a total computer failure or loss or replacement.
What’s New in GreekKeys 2015
If you already own GreekKeys 2008, what are the benefits of upgrading?
- GreekKeys 2015 is free to members of the SCS.
- Mac OS X keyboards contain corrections of some omissions affecting complex key entries and have added access to some recently-approved official Unicode code points.
- Mac OS X keyboards now contain a language definition, which obviates certain incompatibilities that arose in MS Word 2011 for Mac.
- New Mac installer does not require a restart.
- Windows keyboards have been slightly revised to work around incompatibilities that arise on some Windows systems.
- Windows keyboards have added access to some recently-approved official Unicode code points.
- GreekKeys fonts now use a format of OpenType substitution that works automatically in most cases (no need to figure out how to turn on ligatures).
- GreekKeys fonts now contain precomposed glyphs for lowercase Greek letters with overstroke (for numerals or for citing words).
- GreekKeys fonts have added some recently approved Unicode characters, and minor aesthetic improvements and corrections have been made.
- Documentation has been brought up to date (partly to reflect changes in nomenclature and organization used in the latest OS versions), with more illustrations of installation process, better Keyboard Charts, and improved and updated documentation of Private Use Area characters and precomposed characters of interest to advanced users.
Departmental licenses are also available to departments that are departmental members of the SCS. (Departmental membership is separate from individual membership.) The small department license is limited to 9 or fewer users and costs $100. The unlimited department license costs $200. But the unlimited license is free to departments paying dues at the Supporting or Sustaining level. Departmental licenses for GreekKeys 2015 include an extended license for distribution to students at no extra charge. For more information, see the Departmental Membership page.
Departments: go to https://classicalstudies.org/membership/departmental-membership-scs
Free and Discounted Upgrades for Nonmembers Who Made Recent Purchases of GreekKeys 2008
Anyone who purchased GreekKeys 2008 on August 1, 2015 or later is entitled to a free upgrade. Please email mailto:email@example.com to be given access to the download.
Anyone who purchased Greekkeys 2008 between November 1, 2014 and July 31, 2015, is entitled to a discounted price of $10. Please send an email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and FAQ visit https://classicalstudies.org/publications-and-research/greekkeys-2015-support