Applications are invited for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Classics. We seek a Latinist with a specialization in Epic who can teach Greek and Latin at all levels as well as a broad range of courses in civilization such as Sport in Antiquity, Women in Antiquity, and Ancient Religion. Preference given to candidates with demonstrated ability to teach lower-level world literature courses in English translation. Position begins August 1, 2018.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to work effectively with colleagues to support the mission of the institution and related academic units.
- Be responsible for a minimum of 30 teaching load credits per academic year, 6 of which will be for advisement, research, committee work, etc.
- Be willing to teach at times and places necessary to meet student needs.
- Be willing to adopt innovative teaching methods and delivery as appropriate.
- Possess the knowledge, talents and skills in the discipline to promote effective teaching.
- Demonstrate respect for the diverse learning needs of students.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and implement curriculum objectives and content for courses offered and taught in one’s curriculum area.
- Demand and maintain high standards and expectations for all students.
- Implement teaching activities and a diversity of teaching techniques, procedures, and resources including application of technology.
- Develop and implement evaluation and assessment techniques that are appropriate for each course.
- Use multiple measures to assess student learning on a regular basis and provide frequent feedback to students relative to their performance.
- Be available and knowledgeable and demonstrate proficiency in the practice of academic advisement of students.
- Conduct appropriate research and scholarly/creative activity within the discipline.
- Effectively utilize the materials and resources of the Felix G. Woodward Library.
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development and growth by being suitably active in professional and community service.
- Exhibit motivation and initiative in keeping up-to-date and current in one’s curriculum area by reading/reviewing current scholarly or creative works in their field and by attending conferences, seminars, workshops, courses, and development activities sponsored by the University.
- Serve effectively on committees and other appropriate functions that assist in University governance.
- Ph.D. in Classics or closely related field from an accredited institution by time of appointment (August, 2018).
- A background search will be required of the successful applicant.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Each applicant must include the names and contact information for three references, one of which must be from your most recent or current employer, with your application materials. Many people add this to the end of the CV.
- If you would like to additionally attach Letters of Recommendation to your online application, letters must be dated one year or less from the date of your application. You may attach your letters of recommendation in the "Optional Documents" section under the "Letter of Reference" tab. Letters of recommendation may be sent by email to “email@example.com” or hard copy to “Austin Peay State University, Human Resources Dept., PO Box 4507, Clarksville, TN 37044” with your name and desired position clearly indicated after your online application is completed.
- If granted an interview, unofficial transcripts will be required of applicants and official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate before the candidate will be offered a position. It is highly recommended that you attach unofficial transcripts in PDF format to your online application in the "Optional Documents" section under the "Unofficial Transcript" tab before finalizing and submitting your application.
- You will not be able to attach your letters of recommendation, unofficial transcripts or any other supplemental document(s) nor modify your application after it has been submitted.
Applicant review will begin Spring, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Please refer all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications taken ONLINE ONLY at http://www.apsu.edu/human-resources
IT IS A CLASS A MISDEMEANOR TO MISREPRESENT ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS
APSU is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, or genetic information with respect to all employment, programs, and activities. See Non-discrimination Policy.