Assistant Professor of Practice in Classics

Institution Name 
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Position Rank 
Other
If Other, Please Specify 
Assistant Professor of Practice
Area of Specialty 
Open
This position is 
Approved/Definite
Application Deadline 
November 16, 2018
Is the institution willing to sponsor a candidate for a visa? 
Yes

The Department of Classics and Religious Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Practice in Classics, to begin August 2019. We seek a dynamic, creative teacher and enthusiastic program builder to join our thriving Classics program. We are particularly interested in candidates experienced in teaching and designing large courses of material in translation, as well as candidates able to teach all undergraduate levels of Greek and Latin. The Assistant Professor of Practice position is a non-tenure line, multi-year renewable position, with the possibility of promotion to Associate and then Full Professor of Practice. Initial appointment is customarily for three years. More information on the details of a Professor of Practice position may be found at https://cas.unl.edu/professors-practice-guidelines.

This is a full-time, benefits eligible position with at least 80% assigned to teaching. The remaining 20% is allotted to research and service. The 80% teaching apportionment represents 8 courses per year. The course load may be decreased in proportion to other equivalent teaching duties (e.g., curricular development, program building, advising, etc.). Class assignments will regularly include the Latin (and occasionally the Greek) language sequence; large, lower-level lecture courses of wide interest; and upper-level, specialized literature/culture seminars for our majors.

Minimum Qualifications: Ph.D. in Classics or a related field in hand by August 2019; demonstrated excellence teaching Greek or Latin at the undergraduate level.

Preferred Qualifications: significant experience teaching college Latin and/or Greek courses from beginning to advanced levels (preferably as primary instructor, not TA); experience teaching large lecture courses.

Application Instructions: Go to the UNL online posting for this position: https://employment.unl.edu/postings/61134. Click “Apply for this job” and complete the information form. Attach a letter of application, a CV and the names and contact information of at least three references. The application letter should be addressed to Prof. Robert Gorman, Chair of the Search Committee (rgorman1@unl.edu), and should discuss the candidate’s teaching experience and philosophy, with regard to both language and culture/literature courses. It should also discuss how the candidate could contribute to program-building activities. The CV should include information on education, qualifications, and teaching experience (including title and level of each course and whether candidate was primary instructor).

Complete applications received by November 16, 2018 will be assured of full consideration. A preliminary short list of candidates will then be asked to submit additional materials. We expect to conduct Skype interviews with semifinalists in late January or early February, and then finalists will be invited for campus visits in late February or early March.

As an EO/AA employer, qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation. See http://www.unl.edu/equity/notice-nondiscrimination.

Course Load 
4-4
Placement Year 

Share This Page

© 2019, Society for Classical Studies Privacy Policy