SCS Blog Guidelines
The SCS Blog publishes posts on a variety of topics relevant to SCS members and the discipline of Classical Studies. Authors may reflect on current research or projects, issues of importance to the classics profession, and methods for teaching. Submissions must be original and not submitted elsewhere, including online platforms. Pieces should be substantive in nature, not simply accounts or summaries of the topics being covered; posts should have a main idea and examine the subject from a specific perspective. The SCS is interested in the experiences and work of members and classicists at large, and we encourage submissions for the SCS Blog. We also publish reviews of digital projects, which have their own set of special guidelines (see below). (Affiliations of writers with any organization they are writing about should be disclosed clearly; normally a parenthetical note along with the professional title is sufficient). Comments on the SCS Blog will be moderated by the SCS.
What We Do Not Publish
- Publicity for books or similar works: While a post may mention a scholarly work, the focus of the post must be distinct from the book or project itself.
- Sponsored articles or promotional material for commercial products or services.
- Anonymous articles
- Announcements: If you wish to submit an announcement of any kind, please email Erik Shell at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any content with a polemical tone: the SCS blog is meant to be a space for constructive discourse.
- Overtly political content: The SCS is a non-partisan organization. While posts on the historical context of a current political subject are encouraged, we will normally not consider posts which take a stance on the issue itself.
Guidelines for Submission
- Most SCS Blog posts range from 500 to 800 words in length. All posts are edited; SCS editorial staff will review the post and then contact you with any suggestions for revisions. We reserve the right to refuse a post if we determine it is inappropriate for publication on The SCS Blog.
- If you refer to online materials in your post, please include hyperlinks to them. If you wish to include photographs, send them in the email along with your post text; JPEG, TIFF, and PNG are all acceptable file formats. Be sure to provide captions and credits for any photographs. It is the responsibility of the guest blogger to secure permissions from the image copyright holder. Permissions should be forwarded to the web editor along with the image and the associated credit line.
- Please embed all required hyperlinks to people, places, and sites, directly into the word document you submit.
- Along with the body of your post, please send a biography of no more than 50 words. You may include a headshot of yourself, as well as references and links to your professional website and/or Twitter handle.