720 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605
General Information for All Annual Meetings
Every winter, the Society for Classical Studies holds a joint meeting with the Archaeological Institute of America. In addition to the presentation of individual papers and panels, features of the annual meeting include an exhibit hall for browsing and purchasing the latest books from a variety of publishers; roundtable discussion sessions; dramatic performances by the Committee on Ancient and Modern Performance; meetings and receptions of affiliated groups; and much more.
Latest Meeting News
- Register for in-person or virtual attendance at the 2024 Annual Meeting (Register on or before November 13, 2023 for discounted in-person registration fees)
- Reserve a Hotel Room at the Hilton Chicago
- View the 2024 SCS Detailed Program of Sessions
- View the 2024 SCS Program Outline
- SCS Abstracts
- Apply for Participation Funding for the Annual Meeting (The application period is now closed)
- Apply to Volunteer at the Annual Meeting (The application period is now closed)
- Apply for Childcare / Dependent Care Subsidies (due 5pm EST on December 15th)
- Learn More About Chicago at the AIA/SCS Choose Chicago Site
See below for more information about the 2024 Annual Meeting and previous meeting updates:
Applications are open for childcare / dependent care subsidies for the upcoming annual meeting. Funding can be used to support the costs of childcare / dependent care that attendees arrange for either at home or onsite in Chicago. Both in-person and remote meeting attendees are welcome to apply. Please fill out the application form by 5pm EST on December 15th for consideration: Apply for Childcare / Dependent Care Subsidies
SCS is looking for volunteers to assist onsite in Chicago at the 2024 Annual Meeting. This opportunity is open to all undergraduate and graduate students, contingent faculty, and independent scholars, including those who have already applied for annual meeting participation stipends. Volunteers receive free registration for five hours of volunteer time.
Volunteer assignments include:
- Assisting with hybrid sessions, although volunteers will not be responsible for setting up hybrid equipment or opening zoom sessions
- Assisting with special events
- Working at the registration desks in the exhibit hall as directed by our registration vendor Showcare
- Helping the Director of Meetings and SCS staff unpack and pack signage and other materials at the beginning and end of the meeting
The deadline to fill out the form is 5pm on Friday, December 1. You can apply to volunteer using the following link: Volunteer at the Annual Meeting
To view the Program Outline for the 2024 Annual Meeting, please visit the following page: Program Outline
This is the schedule of SCS paper sessions, panels, seminars, and workshops at the 2024 Annual Meeting. We will post regular updates on the Program Outline page and add events through the Fall.
Registration for the 2024 AIA/SCS Joint Annual Meeting is now open!
The 2024 Annual Meeting has a mixed format: many sessions will be in-person, some will be hybrid, and a few will be fully virtual. If you register as an in-person attendee you will also have full access to virtual sessions. Preliminary program information will be published soon.
Please see registration rates below. For in-person attendance, register on or before November 13, 2023 for discounted registration fees.
To register for the meeting, please use the following link: 2024 Annual Meeting Registration
For the 2024 meeting, SCS is offering to members who are students, contingent faculty, or unemployed scholars participation stipends for in-person and virtual meeting attendance. Students, contingent faculty, or unemployed scholars who are on the program but are not members, are also eligible.
To apply for participation funding, please fill out this form by November 1: SCS Annual Meeting Participation Funding 2024
In addition, reservations at the conference hotel are now open. You can reserve your room at the Hilton Chicago (720 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL).
Please note that the Hilton has partnered with the AIA and the SCS on a handful of prizes for the 2024 Annual Meeting. Please follow this link for further details pertaining to those prizes and the terms that apply.
To reserve a hotel room, please use the following link: 2024 Hotel Reservations
To reserve a room by phone, please dial 877-865-5320 and reference the AIA/SCS Joint Annual Meeting or code ASJ.
2024 AIA/SCS Joint Annual Meeting Registration Fees
Nov 13, 2023
Nov 13, 2023
|Member SCS or AIA||$215||$275||$50|
|K-12 Teacher/Contingent Faculty/Unemployed Member||$110||$135||$30|
|K-12 Teacher/Contingent Faculty/Unemployed Non-Member||$150||$175||$40|
|Add’l Exhibition Booth Personnel||$130||$130||N/A|
|One-day Exhibit Hall Pass||$50||$70||N/A|
For older updates on the Annual Meeting from this past summer and spring, please visit the page: Previous Updates on the 2024 Annual Meeting
Calls for Abstracts
- Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
- The Afterlife of the Body (organizer-refereed panel)
- Coins, Copies, and Prototypes
- “Culture and Society in Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Egypt”
- Religious Beliefs and Practices in the Works of Plutarch and his Contemporaries
- Re-tracing the Archive: Affects and Ethics
- Intertextuality and Greek and Roman Cultural Memory
- Reaching over the Divide: Perspectives from K-12, College, and University Class…
- “Essential Digital Classics”
- Greek and Latin Linguistics
- HESPERIDES PANEL “TRANSLATION”
- Society for Late Antiquity Panel: Animal-Human Interactions in Late Antiquity
- CFP: QUEERING THE HERO
- “Green Vergil: Nature and the Environment in Vergil and the Vergilian Tradition”
- CFP: OVID IN RETROSPECT: REVISION, REFLECTION, RECEPTION
- “(New) Materialities of Medicine”
- “Gender, Queerness, and Disability in the Ancient World”
- Taking Stock: Stereotypes in the Ancient Mediterranean (AAACC)
- Music and Power: The View from Hellenistic and Imperial Literature
- Secrecy and sociogenesis: mysteries, restricted rituals, and the growth of reli…
- Law and Epigraphy in the Greek and Roman World (ASGLE)
- The Challenge and Alterity of Early Modernity (SEMCR)
- Libraries Ancient and Modern: From Herculaneum and the New Bibliotheca Alexandr…
- Classics and Social Justice
- The Next Generation: Papers by Undergraduate Classics Students (Eta Sigma Phi)