The Publications Office of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, in Princeton, NJ, has a full-time vacancy, beginning in July for a well-organized and highly motivated individual to support the Editor of Hesperia in all stages of production for the ASCSA’s award-winning journal on Greek archaeology and material culture.
The Assistant Editor will be part of a small, friendly department that works closely with authors to produce scholarly publications of the highest quality. The successful candidate will coordinate the peer-review process, review permissions, conduct bibliographic research, typeset, proofread, and take on any other production tasks as requested by the Editor.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Archaeology, Classics, or a related field
- At least two years of experience as a production, manuscript, or project editor
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure of publication deadlines while retaining close attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work while managing multiple projects in various stages simultaneously
- Familiarity with applying author and style guidelines (e.g., the Chicago Manual of Style)
- Proficiency in Ancient Greek (minimum three semesters)
- Computer literacy and the ability to work in an electronic workflow
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign and Photoshop
Excellent benefits, pleasant working conditions, salary commensurate with experience. Prospective applicants should submit a cover letter, resume (in PDF format), and the names of two individuals willing to serve as references. Applications for the position should be submitted via the online form at: https://ascsa.submittable.com/submit/656006a2-2e28-45cd-b7bc-5dc62bb67715/assistant-editor-for-hesperia.
The closing date for applications is Friday, April 2, 2021. The position begins July 1, 2021.
ASCSA is an EO/AA employer. The American School of Classical Studies at Athens does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, sex, sexual orientation, color, religion, ethnic origin, or disability when considering admission to any form of membership or application for employment.