The College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John's University (SJU) invite applications for a one-year term generalist appointment in classics, effective for the 2019-20 academic year (August 2019-May 2020).
Classics is located in the Languages and Cultures Department, which also includes French, German, Chinese, Japanese, and ESL. The department includes two full-time tenured professors in Classics. Students may major in classical languages (a philological track) or classical studies (a cultural track with less language). Students may minor in Greek or Latin.
The College of Saint Benedict, a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University, a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota. CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative education of their students.
For further information, please visit www.csbsju.edu
The successful candidate will teach courses in Greek and Latin language at the introductory and intermediate levels and an upper-division reading course in one or both languages. Teaching may also include teaching a non-language course.
The appointee will be expected to hold office hours and be available to students seeking assistance or advice.
- Ph.D. or ABD in classics, ancient history, or comparative literature
- Ability to teach both Greek and Latin at all levels: beginning, intermediate and upper division reading courses
- Potential for excellence in teaching and mentoring undergraduates
- Ability to reach diverse learners in small classes
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues in a small department
- An active research agenda
- Knowledge of effective classical pedagogy
Applications are accepted online at: http://employment.csbsju.edu
Applicants must submit:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy which includes how inclusion and diversity in the classroom can be successfully embraced
- Names and contact information for three references
- Copies of all transcripts
Review of applications will begin April 3, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
If you require special accommodations to participate in the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (320) 363-5500 or email@example.com .
It is the policy of CSB and SJU to conduct pre-employment background checks. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employers.