YALE UNIVERSITY – NEW HAVEN CT
YALE UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY – DEPARTMENT OF COINS AND MEDALS
The Department of Coins and Medals at the Yale University Art Gallery seeks a one-year Fellow beginning in August 2011 to participate in the management of a collection that is particularly strong in coinage of the Greek and Roman worlds. We are seeking a post-doctoral scholar of advanced academic standing who has evidenced a commitment to the Classics. The Fellow will become fully involved in the daily functions of a professionally-managed collection of coins and medals.
1. Support the department’s cataloguing program by creating or refining catalogue records and supervising the work of students in cataloguing and photography.
2. Conduct research on specific aspects of the museum’s collection and aid in making information available to the public, both scholarly and lay.
3. Support the museum’s exhibition program by assisting with preparation and installation of exhibitions; write wall texts and labels, consult on the presentation and installation of objects.
4. Support the museum’s educational program by giving gallery talks, special presentations, and/or classes.
5. Identify works of art from his/her area(s) of expertise that enhance the collections and formally propose their acquisition to the Curators, Director, and/or the museum’s Board of Governors.
6. Answer queries about the collection by letter, email, and telephone.
7. Undertake such other tasks as may be assigned by the Curator.
The Fellow may have the opportunity to conceive, organize and document in a published catalogue an exhibition of his/her choice, or teach a Yale College course on an aspect of his/her expertise.
Required Experience & Education, Skills & Abilities: Ph.D. or ABD in Classics, history, art history or a related field; Working ability in modern European languages; museum experience; teaching experience.
Send a cover letter, c.v., graduate school transcript, a writing sample, and the names and contact information for three professional references by June 30, 2011, to:
William E. Metcalf
Ben Lee Damsky Curator of Coins and Medals
Yale University Art Gallery
P.O. Box 208271
New Haven, CT 06520-8271
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.