Term: A full-time position beginning in August 2022 for three years, ending June 30, 2025, with a possible renewal for a final fourth year.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; benefits include room and board at the School.
Qualifications: Candidates must have earned the Ph.D. no more than five years prior to the application and must have spent at least one academic year as a Member of the ASCSA. An active agenda for research, knowledge of Greece and Modern Greek, and teaching experience are expected.
- To help the Director in the administration of School business and to stand in for the Director when needed. Reports to the Director of the School.
- To assist with the academic program under the direction of the Mellon Professor by lecturing, leading trips and offering mini-seminars/workshops on area(s) of expertise. (Previous Assistant Directors have been responsible for leading the annual trip to Crete for the academic program).
- To live in Loring Hall and assist residents as needed after business hours.
- To serve as a contact and resource person for all members of the School.
- To advise members of relevant Greek government policies and regulations.
- To help with the planning of the Summer Programs by suggesting itineraries, speakers, and generally offering support to the Summer Program Directors, but not responsible for making actual arrangements.
- To be a visible presence in the Athenian academic and social scene by attending functions as an official of the School.
- To make substantial progress on a proposed research agenda.
Application: The Assistant Director will be appointed by the ASCSA Managing Committee (through the Personnel Committee) in consultation with the Director of the School and the Andrew W. Mellon Professor. Please submit letter of application, curriculum vitae, and research project description (up to three pages in length) online here.
Three letters of recommendation are required. After the online application is submitted, recommenders are sent an automated email with instructions for uploading confidential reference letters. To ensure the timely receipt of letters of recommendation, candidates should contact recommenders well ahead of the deadline indicating that such a reference request will be forthcoming. Recommenders may also send letters directly to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is December 1, 2021. Candidates will be interviewed in late January.