The Department of Classics at Northwestern University invites applications for a full-time tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor, to begin September 1, 2022. We aim to hire a Classicist with a scholarly focus on the development of science, technology and medicine in the ancient Mediterranean. An ability to teach advanced courses in Greek or Latin is expected. We are especially interested in broadly trained, theoretically informed scholars whose research intersects with the strengths at Northwestern in science and engineering, philosophy and interdisciplinary humanities. The successful candidate will contribute to the department's innovative undergraduate curriculum and to cross-disciplinary collaborations such as the Classical Reception Workshop, the Global Antiquities initiative, and the Science and Human Culture program.
This position carries a teaching load of four quarter-long courses. Our program values engagement in public conversation and interdisciplinary collaboration and is committed to promoting a culturally diverse intellectual community. Applications from women, minorities and underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged. A doctoral degree is required by the time the appointment begins. In order to receive full consideration, applications must be received by November 1, 2021. Applicants should submit the following materials: a cover letter, research statement of no more than 2 pages, curriculum vitae, dissertation or book writing sample of 5,000-7,000 words, teaching statement of no more than 2 pages, evidence of teaching excellence, diversity statement, and three letters of recommendation. Please submit materials electronically through the application link available on our website, https://classics.northwestern.edu/people/job-opportunities.html. Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make preparations before proceeding to the application page:
- Applications will only be accepted via online submission (see link below).
- Please prepare all documents in advance as Adobe PDF files, and please be sure all information is entered correctly and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been submitted.
- Please also prepare a list of names and email addresses for your external academic references; your references will be contacted directly by the online system and invited to upload their letters on your behalf.
- All required fields in the application form are marked with an asterisk and must be filled before clicking the "Submit" button.
- Be aware that incomplete applications cannot be saved.
Applications accepted here: https://facultyrecruiting.northwestern.edu/apply/MTE1MA==
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.