Appalachian State University in Boone, NC seeks an art historian with a specialization in the art and visual culture of the Ancient/Medieval world (up to 1400 CE), with emphasis on cross-cultural and colonial contact. Experience with cultural management, museum studies, and/or digital humanities is additionally desired.
- Earned Ph.D. in Art History, Visual Culture, or related area.
- Demonstrated specialization in the art history or visual culture of the ancient/medieval world (up to 1400 CE), with emphasis on cross-cultural and colonial contact.
- Experience with cultural management, museum studies, and/or digital humanities.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- Evidence of commitment to inclusivity and accessibility in research, service, and/or pedagogy.
- Evidence of a promising research agenda in art history and/or visual culture.
- Ability to teach art history surveys from a global perspective and courses within area(s) of specialization.
- Experience with, or commitment to, educating and mentoring students of diverse backgrounds and demographics.
- Teach three courses per semester (9 hours) including art history surveys, introductory to advanced undergraduate courses in visual culture, and areas of specialization.
- Participate in departmental and university service, including collaborating with Art and Visual Culture colleagues on curriculum, program development, and student advising.
- Sustained scholarly research program in the field of art and visual culture.
For the full listing, see https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/31922.
Review of applications will begin on 3/1/2022
For a complete application, please apply and submit all required documents electronically through Appalachian State University’s Job Board, accessible via https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/31922:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching philosophy, including commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Contact information for three references
- Sample syllabus
- Writing sample
- Unofficial graduate transcript(s) (official transcripts will be required upon hire
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.
Search Chair: Heather Waldroup (email@example.com)