Classical Lanaguages Coordinator Position
The Classical Languages Coordinator (CLC) works for the Classics Department to assist in language teaching though instruction, tutoring, and related activities. The CLC has an office in the department, lives on campus (in faculty housing), and also directs/coordinates occasional programming/lectures.
Teaching: Extended format Latin and Greek classes (2 hrs per week at each level in each language)—ranging from lower intermediate to advanced level.
Tutoring: as needed to supplement class meetings; working with senior majors on translations in their theses.
Cultural Programming: The CLC will live on campus near students, and will plan, organize and execute occasional cultural programs, lectures and activities for Greek and Latin students and the campus community.
The CLC will also:
• Maintain appropriate documentation and records for the position.
• Meet as appropriate with the faculty advisor.
• Support and actively contribute to the goal of achieving greater diversity, inclusion and equity at Colorado College and work effectively with all members of the campus community.
• Assist in promoting a culture of safety and environmental protection by working in a safe manner; immediately reporting unsafe situations and accidents; following College procedures; requesting and using appropriate protective equipment; and participating in appropriate safety training. Demonstrate environmental sustainability by using college resources wisely and supporting the college’s sustainability initiatives and innovation.
• Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
• Knowledge of teaching methodologies and classroom strategies.
• Must be independent, adaptable, flexible, able to work with various constituencies, and enthusiastic about classical languages and culture.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills are essential.
A successful candidate must exhibit the potential for excellence in teaching and for contributing to the department’s scholarly activities.
Financial compensation is comparable to a graduate stipend (earnings are subject to US taxes) and the position also includes:
• Housing (furnished) and health insurance
• Lowest fare direct round trip coach flight to/from Colorado Springs
Application should include:
1) cover letter, 2) curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for two references to submit a letter of recommendation. The application site will send emails to references with instructions for electronic submission.
Qualifications: Pre-doctoral, Ph.D. candidate preferred. Those who already hold a Ph.D. are welcome to apply. Satisfactory knowledge of Latin and ancient Greek is necessary. Some experience teaching Latin and/or Greek at College/University level is preferable.
Employment tem and course load: This is a full-time, 9 month position that runs from mid-August until mid-May, with benefits. Teaching duties are the equivalent of 3 blocks (a full load is 6 blocks). The position allows for significant time for research and includes access to all college reseach facilities and databases.
Colorado College is an equal opportunity employer committed to increasing the diversity of its community. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation in our educational programs and activities or our employment practices.
Questions should be directed to Sanjaya Thakur, Chair of the Classics Department: firstname.lastname@example.org