The Department of Classics at the University of Cincinnati invites applications for a tenure track position in Ancient History with a research specialization in Roman Republican and/or Imperial history at the level of Assistant Professor, to begin August 15, 2023.
The Department of Classics offers B.A. programs in Classics and Classical Civilization, M.A. programs in Classical Philology, Greek or Latin Philology, Ancient History, and Art and Archaeology, and Ph.D. programs in Greek and Latin Philology, Ancient History, Bronze Age Archaeology, and Classical Archaeology. The faculty thrive in an interdisciplinary environment that educates students in philology, ancient history, and archaeology. The department is housed together with the Burnam Classics Library, one of the largest and best collections of resources in Classics in the world, including a collection of Byzantine and Modern Greek resources. Full information about the department can be found on our website: https://classics.uc.edu/
• Teach Ancient History at the undergraduate and graduate levels as well as Classical Civilization and Ancient Greek and/or Latin.
• Conduct research and publish in the field of Roman Republican and/or Imperial history.
• Advise graduate and undergraduate students.
• Write and grade graduate qualifying examinations.
• Serve on departmental committees including dissertation committees.
• Ph.D. in Ancient History, Classics, or a related field.
• Scholarly research demonstrated through a writing sample.
• Reading fluency in Ancient Greek and/or Latin.
Interested and qualified candidates must apply online at https://jobs.uc.edu Search for Requisition # 88734.
In addition to completing the online application form, candidates are required to attach:
• Cover letter.
• Current curriculum vitae including the names of three referees.
• Scholarly writing sample of about 20 pages.
• Please use the Additional Documents feature in the online application system to attach these documents.
Candidates should also request three confidential letters of reference to be sent to Classics@uc.edu with the subject line “Ancient History Search.”
The committee will review applications beginning November 15, 2022, and conduct interviews by zoom. The position will remain open until filled.
For all faculty hires official academic transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.