(More detailed information for candidates and faculty about the Lionel Pearson Fellowship can be found here)
2022-2023 Application Cycle
The Pearson Fellowship Committee invites applications from undergraduate students for the 2023-2024 Lionel Pearson Fellowship, which seeks to contribute to the continuing education of American- and Canadian-trained classicists by providing for a year of graduate study at an English or Scottish university. The competition is open to any outstanding candidate with a B.A. in Greek, Latin, Classics, or closely related fields at any American or Canadian college or university. This cycle is open to students who either will complete their undergraduate studies during the 2022-2023 academic year or have completed their undergraduate studies during the 2021-2022 academic year. The SCS encourages applications from groups traditionally under-represented in the field of classical studies.
In order to address the ongoing uncertainties and challenges posed by COVID-19, the Pearson Fellowship Committee is retaining two important features of last year’s competition:
- The successful candidate will be allowed to defer use of the award from 2023-24 to 2024-25, should the pandemic make it difficult or impossible to enroll in an English or Scottish institution in 2023-24.
- For this year's fellowship application, any eligible undergraduate studying in the US or Canada may apply directly to the Pearson Fellowship Committee. We are not asking institutions to nominate students this year, and there is no limit to the number of students who may apply from any single institution.
During the fellowship year, the successful candidate will undertake a course of study that broadens and develops their knowledge of Greek and Latin texts in the original languages; candidates should therefore have a good foundation in the classical languages. The term of the Fellowship is one year. The recipient may use the Fellowship for part of a longer program of study, but under no circumstances will support from the Fellowship extend beyond one year. Fellows are responsible for seeking and obtaining admission to the English or Scottish university where they intend to study. With regards to their applications to English or Scottish universities, candidates should seek out information about their respective application deadlines, and we encourage candidates to apply if they are short-listed.
The maximum amount of the Fellowship is $27,000, which may be used to offset academic fees, travel expenses, housing and subsistence costs, and book purchases. The Fellowship amount ($27,000) is the maximum that the SCS can award, but the Faculties of Classics at both Oxford and Cambridge Universities have generously offered to provide a partial tuition subvention for any Pearson Fellow enrolled at their institution. In these instances, funds provided by the SCS should offset the Fellow’s other expenses. The SCS will attempt, but cannot guarantee, to obtain a similar accommodation from another institution in England or Scotland should the Fellow attend a university other than Oxford or Cambridge. Similarly, the SCS cannot guarantee tuition support from other Faculties at Oxford and Cambridge, such as Philosophy or History. Students should be aware that if they can pursue their preferred course of study under the rubric of Classics, it would be to their advantage. The Pearson Fellowship is the only fellowship currently offered by the SCS that provides funding for a year of graduate study.
Important Dates for the 2022-2023 Application Cycle
- By 11:59pm Eastern Time on November 5, 2022, candidates should submit the application form and all other required materials, including an 8-10 page writing sample, double-spaced, including notes and bibliography. All materials should be sent electronically to the Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can find the application form here. Given that November 5 falls on a Saturday, applications and letters of recommendation will be accepted through the end of the day on Monday November 7.
- By December 7, 2022 candidates will be notified whether they are on the short-list for the January 2023 virtual interviews.
- By 11:59pm Eastern Time on December 17, 2022, short-listed candidates must provide a 17-20 page writing sample, double-spaced, including notes and bibliography.
- In January 2022, short-listed candidates will be interviewed via Zoom by the committee, and candidates will be notified of the committee’s decision shortly after these interviews. In addition, the short-listed candidates will be invited to attend the annual meeting of SCS in January 2023 in New Orleans, with expenses paid by SCS, although interviews will not take place during the conference.
For questions about the fellowship and application process, please contact the Pearson Fellowship Committee Chair, Erika Weiberg.
To see previous winners click here.