Open to those preparing for Latin teacher certification. SCS membership is not required.
Funding available: Up to $1,500. Deadline: April 20, 2023
Applications must be submitted as e-mail attachments to Helen Cullyer, Executive Director of the SCS (firstname.lastname@example.org), by April 20, 2023. The subject line of the e-mail should read “Application for 2023 Stewart Award”.
- One-page, single-spaced, typed narrative description of the coursework to be taken, the relevance of this coursework to obtaining certification, the funding amount requested, a brief narrative budget describing how the requested funds will be used, and a statement of the applicant’s financial need.
- Current resume/curriculum vitae.
- Copy (scanned) of transcript from institution currently attending or last attended (unofficial is acceptable).
- One letter of recommendation from a professor you have had or a professional colleague or administrator, if you are teaching, who can address your potential for or current ability at Latin teaching. The letter should be sent directly by the recommender to Helen Cullyer via email.
- A list of any other sources of funding applied for with amounts requested.
The award payment will be made after submission of receipt for course work leading to certification.
To fund this program the Society uses income derived from contributions from the Friends of Zeph Stewart and matching gifts from the National Endowment for the Humanities to the Research and Teaching Endowment established by its Gateway Campaign for Classics in the 21st Century. Winners will be selected by a subcommittee of the Joint Committee on the Classics in American Education, whose membership is selected from both the SCS and the American Classical League.